The former Immanuel Church
of the Evangelical Association in Ridgeway
now Community Baptist Church
presently located on the corner of Forrest & Friday Street in Richmond
Previously known as 'Trinity Lutheran Church' and 'Zion Methodist Church'
and before that known as Immanuel Church of the Evangelical Association in Ridgeway (1900- 1905)
and prior to 1900 the church was located on the corner of Gratiot and 30 Mile Road in Lenox Township and known
"The Evangelical Community of Ridgeway".
The picture above shows an updated version of the original edifice that once was located on the corner of Gratiot and 30-Mile Road. The building was moved to its present location, on the corner of Forrest and Friday Street in Richmond, from its original site on the corner of Gratiot and 30-Mile Road in Lenox Township. The church was originally built in the early 1870s by the Germans who settled along 30 Mile Road, a.k.a. Church Road, in Lenox Twp. The organization was formed December 30, 1874. August Kühn was its Secretary in 1876. After he resigned on October 29, 1901, Wilhelm Hensch, then Wilhelm Köhn, and later Wilhelm Holtz, held that position. On 31 December 1904, Charles W. Fürstenau was Secretary until he resigned in 1906.
According to the minutes of the church records of August 8, 1901, a motion was made and accepted by the board to buy a lot from Ira Lovejoy in Ridgeway for $290, to paint the church and move it to Ridgeway (Lenox). The main church building measured 24 x 40 feet. It was also decided that once the building was moved, an addition measuring 14 x 20 feet would be added. Brothers Carl Hoppe, August Trettin, Carl Wegner, Mr. Schneider, and Wilhelm Beversdorf were elected as the building committee. In 1904 it was decided to have German and English church services on alternate Sundays, and to sell the lot on which the church had been built in Lenox Township to Mr. Grünow for $20.00.
Although the minutes give no indication as to the actual moving date of the church building, it may be assumed that it occurred some time between 1901 and 1902.
As the older members of the congregation died (many of whom are buried in the Lenox Center Burial Grounds on Kuster Road), the next generation sold their original homesteads in favor of better farmland in Richmond Township and in other places, such as Capac and Imlay City. By 1910, after the congregation had shrunk to 9 families, the church as an organization was dissolved.
Listed below are the members (heads of household only) of the Immanuel Church of the Evangelical Association of Ridgeway as listed in the Secretary's Report of 1874:
|Fuchs, J. M.|
|Fürstenau (Fuerstenau), August|
|Fürstenau (Fuerstenau), Carl, Sr.|
|Fürstenau (Fuerstenau), Carl, Jr.|
|Fürstenau (Fuerstenau), Wilhelm|
|Glatscher, Janv. (?)|
|Hensch, Wilhelm, Jr.|
|Hensch, Wilhelm, Sr.|
|Köhn (Koehn), Wilhelm|
|Kühn (Kuehn), August|
|Nürnberg (Nuernberg), Carl|
|Nürnberg (Nuernberg), Friedrich|
|Nuß (Nuss), Joachim|
|Schönemann (Schoenemann), Christian|
|Stöcker (Stoecker), Karl|
Note: to those researching the Köhn /Koehn, Kühn/Kuehn, Kuhn, Kihen or Coon families in Lenox or Richmond Township will have a real challenge on their hands. The Köhn and Kühn families listed above were not related. The German names, Köhn and Kühn, are spelled and pronounced distinctly different in the German language and it was not until these emigrants came to America that their names were misspelled and mispronounced by clerks not familiar with the German language. I would also like to add, that the practice of substituting the 'umlaut' (the 2 dots above the vowel) by adding an "e" behind the vowel (e.g. ae, oe, ue), is proper and quite common in Germany and does not change the pronunciation of the word or name.
However, if either the 'umlaut' or its substituting 'e'
is missing, the word / name is then pronounced differently in the German,
whereas the English language does not make this kind of distinction.